Monday, April 30, 2007

Adam Carriker Comments


Adam Carriker
Defensive Lineman
First Round Selection 13th overall

(On how it feels to be a Ram)
“It feels great; I could'n’t be more excited and thrilled. It is very exciting.”

(On interest from Rams)
“They sent a lot of decision makers to my pro-day, and when I went to visit they told me that if I was there at thirteen they would take me.”

(On interest from San Francisco 49ers)
“I did'n’t even visit San Francisco and I guess they were'n’t too interested for some reason.”

(On his versatility on the defensive line)
“There are a lot of guys in this draft that at game time they are just pass rushers, you have guys who are straight rush stoppers, but I can do both things. I am a big strong guy that can also run very well, I am pretty fast, I run a 4.72. I can do both of those things, I can rush the passer and I can stop the run, which means I can play defensive end, defensive tackle, or nose, wherever they want to put me.

(On starting as a Defensive Tackle)
“That sounds great to me, I could really use my speed and quickness inside there.”

(On being prepared to step in an play and any weaknesses)
“I would love to step in and play right away, that is definitely a goal. I plan on earning that spot, I know it is not going to be handed to me. As far as weaknesses I need to work on I would say, pad level because I play a little too high sometimes. I would say playing low is one of the main things.”

(On being known as a high motor player)
“It is a personality thing and an attitude. I hate losing. I am going to do everything I can to win. I am going to run down the field and chase the guy down, I am going to play as hard as I can on every play. I want to win.”

(On Nebraska’s defensive reputation)
“I grew up a Husker fan. I grew up watching Nebraska play every Saturday and watching the NFL every Sunday.”

(On pass rush skills)
“I am very good with my hands, a lot of guys don’t think I can beat them with speed, but I can get you with speed. I can also use my power, I am a strong guy.”

(On gaining weight to play inside)
“I talked with the coaches a little bit when I was there about my weight and they talked about getting me up to 310 or 315. If that is what they want, I can do that with no problem.”

(What he got out of working out with Coach Hanifan)
“It’s all about the competition, seeing what the guys can do, seeing what the level is like. It’s going to be a lot tougher level in the NFL. Just seeing what it is going to be like and getting ready to play at that higher level.”

(On run defense and where it comes from)
“Well it comes from Nebraska, we play the run first, react to the pass. Stopping the run, to our coaches, was by far was the number one thing.”

(On being sure the Rams were going to draft him)
“I definitely was excited when they told me that, but at the same time I’'ve heard of teams calling a guy up and saying,‘our pick next, we are going to take you,’ and then not taking him so I was excited but I did'n’t want to get too excited until it actually happened.”

(On who from the Rams was at his workout)
“The defensive coordinator, I recall the head coach, I believe there was the general manager but I can’t remember for sure. I just remember those two for sure.”

(On Jim Haslett)
“He seems like a very smart man, very football savvy. He seems like a very good guy. He seems like he is going to be a very good football coach to play for.”

(On following the Rams organization)
“I follow them a little bit. I know they are a 4-3 team, they definitely want to play me a 3-technique maybe even look at me as a nose possibly. I just know a little bit about their defense.”

(On who was his position coach)
“Coach John Blake.”

(On Linehan talking about how they are from the same state)
“It did a little, it did come up. I’m actually in eastern Washington right now, at my parents’ house. I was just here for the draft and the draft party, so it did come up a little bit.”

(On the celebration)
“Yeah we'’ve got some food, some family, my high school coach, Coach Weiss, is here, my middle school coach, some of the neighbors, some people who have supported me and helped get me to this point, I wanted to spend this day with them.”

(On who told him he got picked)
“I was so excited I don’t even remember. I honestly don’t even remember I was so excited. I’m sorry, I forgot.”

(If his friends and family “went nuts”)
“Yeah, as soon as the phone rang everyone turned and just stared at me. I looked at the clock and there was about two minutes left on the clock and I was like, ‘oh this would be the perfect time for it to be them.’ Then when I told my dad I was talking to the owner everyone just erupted.”

(On how he knew it was'n’t a telephone salesman)
“I would have had a serious problem if it would have been.”

(On importance of getting to camp on time)
“I mean it is huge. I want to learn the system. I want to learn the scheme. I want to learn about the coaches because each coach wants something different from the players. I want to learn what they want from me, what they expect from me. I just want to get into the organization. Get to practice and get to play football.”

(On knowing Grant Wistrom)
“I have never met Grant. He has been to Nebraska but when he came back to visit I never had the chance to meet him.”

No comments: